Friday, September 18, 2015

Blood Moon

Apocalypse

Old, and learning new vocabulary, I am.

Apocalypse.

My pastor said, “I don't think that word means what you think it means.”
and he unveiled the definition: “ an unveiling of information”.

What!??!!!!?????
Apocalypse doesn't mean the end of the world!!!!!


My gosh, I am so disappointed!

Of course I had already discovered this group of church people are not like the other group of church people I was once so familiar with.

Nobody is teaching disaster classes.
No emergency preparedness classes.


Nobody is storing food, guns, ammunition.

I am so disappointed!

A religious/political focus on disaster & apocalypse fit right into my world view!


A belief system is vitally significant because our belief systems guide our behaviors.                           That is true.  I read it on the internet.

And here is the key to a belief system:                                                                                                 one cannot believe anything outside of one's own world view.

Naturally, being a child raised by armed lunatics, I would have a rebel world view where anything can happen and in the twinkling of an eye!
Be alert, hyper alert.                                                                                                                               Be prepared!!

I was a sitting duck for the religious zealots.

That's one of the things that I liked (like) about my former religion:  all that focus on disaster that fits right into my own special world view!

If you look closely at this picture, you will notice some things:
two spoons............. to feed the world
a tube...................... to siphon off your gasoline
a swiss army knife that will not be given away like the shirt off  one's back.

It's a me kit.  Well, maybe me and thee.   Maybe.
I know what I'm talking about.
I have one of these.

"But I have to save myself in order to save you!"
"Please step away!  You are standing on my oxygen tube!"




I am now surrounded by a different group of people who are changing my world view with their love and fellowship and their propensity to share food, not store it.

Grace.

They role model grace.



Come to the table.  It is an open table.

You are invited to the open table, not because of what you are but because of who you are.
You are you and you are loved by God.




Did you hear a year or so ago where everybody in America was getting tired of hearing about the apocalypse?
I think it had to do with “overload”.

But then that string of Blood Moons started showing up!!
Re-focus!  Re-focus!

At the end of 2013, well, actually in October of 2013, I quit cataloguing the disasters in our world.
 It just became overwhelming, the number and variety of such.

I think I will have to ask my pastor about Armageddon.
 What does that word mean?

Still keeping an eye on disasters,
just not documenting them in columns.
I am grateful you visited.


Riverwatch

PS  I can't tell you how important Vocabulary is.  The other day my teenage grandson told me he wants to lose weight, so he has gone on a diet. 
 "So what's your diet like?"
"Well", he said, "now when I want toast, I never have a pair of toast.  Just one."

Old and still learning.
Now I want a pair of toast to go with my coffee!