Saturday, November 24, 2018

I miss Kate.



I went to see Margie because I had not been to her home in 3 years  Three years ago Margie was 98.
She was impressive.  Just got her Driver's License renewed.
Bright and cheery condo.  Expensive, of course.
Margie has always been first class and is the best dressed lady in our church congregation.
Blinds open.
Condo spotless.

Money helps and yes, at 101 she, dressed to the nines, still hobbles into church using her cane.  Except for that day she threw her cane aside in disgust.  On that day she hung onto pews and door facings, etc in order to navigate, but she did it!

Things had changed since I last visited three years ago.
Her hearing aid no longer works.
Her home, though clean, is not what you would call "shiny and spotless".
Blinds were all shut.
She had forgotten to make coffee.  She had invited me for coffee.  Coffee seemed to have slipped her mind.

 "Marg", I said.  "What is the best thing about being 101 ?"

"Best??" she said.  "Did you say best?"

"Yes."

"Well if you have a sense of humor, the best thing is it's funny."

"What is funny?"

"Waking up every morning to a surprise.  Surprise!!  Each day brings another surprise for you!"

"What is the worst thing about being 101?"

"Having people treat me like I am OLD.  That makes me so mad!"

"I miss Kate, " she said suddenly.
"My best friend and I could tell her anything and I start to call her and then I remember that she died."

Marg started to cry.


Image result for images of an old lady cryingcanocopegdl.com




"Well", I said as though I knew what I was talking about, "old age means we have no peers.  So you could write Kate a letter every week and instead of mailing it, put it in a box and save it for posterity."
Marg stopped crying.
 "I think I will do that.  Yes!!
I miss Kate."



"I miss Kate."           


Thank you for caring enough to stop at my blog,
Riverwatch