Tuesday, May 3, 2016

"If I Were an Indian" by Riverwatch


    






If I Were an Indian
by Riverwatch




If I were an Indian,
I would walk in nature, talking to my friends, the trees.
   
If I were an Indian,
I would look at the inferiority of the pale faces and be at rest within my soul.

If I were an Indian,
I would look upward to the Great Spirit and rest in the peace that all will be well.

If I were an Indian,
I would drink only fresh flowing clear water from Mother Earth and bathe in it daily.

If I were an Indian,
I would be monogamous and I would die for my family if need be.

If I were an Indian,
I would mold families from the remains, the disinfranchized left-overs, the bits and pieces of humanity found on the landscape.

If I were an Indian,
I would listen more than I speak, so as to surprise the pale-faces.

If I were an Indian.



I am an Indian.
I sit under my silk tree and cry to my tree, my best friend.

I am an Indian.
I listen intently to one and all, including the trees.

I am an Indian.
My family is ever changing, ever growing, ever changing.

I am an Indian.


I find the waterfall and stand with head bowed, long dark hair loose over my face, letting the water splash over my back.
I am an Indian.




I am a hybrid.

I sit under my silk tree and cry outloud and noisey to my silk tree, sometimes screaming.

I am a hybrid.
I listen intently and speak many many words.

I am a hybrid.
I walk separate and apart in nature, fearing man yet knowing I am surrounded by rocks and trees who know me and wish me well.
I am a hybrid.

I long for fresh water even as I drink chemicals.
I long for the waterfall on my back and upon my dyed hair.

I am a hybrid.
I am too fierce to be monogamous and too proud to be polygamous.

I am a hybrid.
My family is ever changing, ever growing, ever changing, while I whine about change and judge the ungodly.

I am a hybrid.

Great Spirit, have mercy.

Image result for images of indian girl in waterfall
Remember me when I was an Indian and judge me not for the Way being lost.