Thursday, February 26, 2015

Soldiers and Patriots





Catchy phrases!  I love them.

So when my brother John described a slothful Christian we know as a summer soldier, sunshine patriot , right off the bat I swiped that phrase. 
Summer soldier.  Sunshine patriot.  

Kool.

Naturally I would bumble.  "Are you talking about the Seahawks and the Patriots????"  (That was when we were still thinking the Patriots were gonna lose for sure.)   

  "What???  This has nothing to do with sports."

So I looked it up on the internet before commenting further.

Thomas Paine opened "The American Crisis" with these words: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.   

 Paine also wrote "those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it"--they must be winter soldiers and snowfall patriots in order to attain freedom.

Winter soldiers and snowfall patriots!   

Now that's another catchy phrase!


At this Christian Season of Lent, as I have thought what to give up for Christ for 40 days, I am reluctant to give something to Him and then take it back, that is if I had anything to give Him.   I realize I have nothing to give, not really.
I own nothing, not really.                                                                                                                         I am nothing, not on my own.                                                                                                      My sins, missteps, stupidities, and flaws are covered.                                                                      My griefs are borne. 


Even when I go to partake at the open table, I go to be served by Him for He has invited me to the feast.  He has done it all.  I go as His guest to a place where I am welcome.  Even at the feast, I go, not to serve Him, but to be served by Him.


Perhaps I can practice for 40 days being a winter soldier and a snowfall patriot for Christ.
You know, dragging out of bed, showing up at church even on Daylight Savings Change Day.  

Winter soldier.  Snowfall patriot.
Kool.

Image result for images of snowfall on a soldier
This is the day which the Lord God has made.
Rejoice and be glad in it.



Loving your visit,
Riverwatch