Friday, September 21, 2018

OMG!!

You may wonder why I seldom blog anymore.
Well, so do I.

I started this blog to track my own aging, the Big Slide.  But frankly I learned aging is not a big slide but an up & down track that leads.........to so many changes in the way we think and operate.

So....one of the horrors of advancing age is we can easily "overshare".  You know, talking about our bunions at the dinner table with others.

Oversharing is just as much about undersharing for such a long long time (since we eat alone and gaze out the window alone) that when there is finally an audience we seem to bubble out in unskilled ways that highlight our....ok, our stupidity.  Filter: off.
Of course part of that is about the fading acumen of our servo-mechanism that for years allowed us to operate without conscious planning and thought, to use "habit" as a friend.....to let the car "lead us" where we want to go.
Not so good anymore is the servo-mechanism of our brain for a lot of us.   
We "forget" to lock the front door!  ( Forgot?? Hell, we never even thought about it!)
We "forget" to take our pills, and, I might add, other important daily things we used to do by rote.
We have to count our change three times and hope to have two matching results.  Or, we just go ahead and probably get robbed rather than reveal our befuddlement.  This is about "time constraints" not about stupidity.  Fast young people wait for us to slowly count and recount our change.

Time is doing funny things...fast, slow, swirl, even forgotten.  Damn!!

Why would you want to blog when your filter is "off" ?

Why would you want to blog when you are having to forego humor for pathos? 

I am still determined to overshare.
My recent shuttle trip had me sitting beside an 85 yr old whisp of a lady behind the driver. She was so spry getting into the shuttle as I had to lug myself in bit by bit and I am only 74!!
However, she just couldn't remember what town she was getting off in.  It was just a brief stop on her way to the last leg of her long journey.  
"Where am I going?"   "Draper", the bus driver said.    
"I forgot the name of that town again.  where am I getting off?"  
"Draper", he said again.  
I thought about saying, You know, Point of the Mountain,  Draper-Tech where the penitentiary is but she didn't look like she needed that witty crap so, feeling sorry for her, I consoled her.  "You are getting off before me because I am going to Magma."
The shuttle driver took his eyes off the road and turned to look at me and said, "There is no such place as Magma.  You are going to Murray."
OMG!!!

I kept my mouth shut the rest of the trip, like most old folks do.

Ok, so I watch the daily updates on earthquakes and volcanoes  and am fascinated with magma.  Is that where that stupid mismatched word came from??
Ok, so my sister lived in Magna....still not Magma but close....and she is on my mind since she is dead as is my brother....and I am having visuals of them (when they were young and we played cowboys and Indians) flit through my mind.  Is that where that stupid word came from, popping out of my brain like I was an executive standing in front of crowd, wowing them with my knowledge??
OMG.

Related image
hir.ma

It's always fun to get away especially when you are old.  And I learned somethings!
There is no such place as Magma.
85 and spry is possible  (not fat, of course).
Denny's is the same everywhere.
My daughter and her children made the trip worthwhile.

Plus I have made up a new big poster for my fridge.

Think before you speak.


It stands beside the one that says:

Pause.
You can always be rude later.


Ahh......thanks for your visit,
Riverwatch